Friday, July 29, 2005
Anyone seen my temper?
I lost my temper at work this morning. We were already a little miffed about one of the group leaders at work deciding that all backup errors should be cause to open incidents in our Incident Monitoring System. As if we needed any more work having to close those alerts. Well then come to find out that he sent another email saying that the backup group was not interested in backup monitoring. Well it made it sound like we don't care about what happen to the hundreds of backups we run every night. That's when I lost it. I stormed to his office and asked, no told him, to come see me when he had a minute. Since he was following me to my desk I told him to go sit his butt down in the meeting room and that we'd be right there. I went and got my co-worker who got our manager and with the four of us in the room I proceeded to tell him what I thought of his idea. He did have some valid points, but at that time I was not interested in listening to them; all I wanted to do was to tell him what I thought of his comments. Anyway, I stormed out of the room and went back to my desk. I think things were set in motion that will alleviate some of the problems that were laid bare in that meeting so that's good, but I do regret losing my temper as I think I could I made my feelings known without being so rude to the guy. Oh well, I guess we all have days like that.

I spent most of the morning, except when I was fuming about the subject above, working on the problem from the night before. We were lucky however in that it was a slow backup night and we were able to get most of the backups successfully run even though we were down to half the number of drives we normally use (3 instead of 6). Other servers also had problems as a direct result of the drive problem this media server was having. We finally got all the drives recognized; turns out that the persistent bindings we thought were in use actually were not and that was our problem. Once we got the persistent bindings to take effects all the drives came back as they were before. All of this had to be done because we were moving three large servers to this robot and we needed the extra drive capacity.

My wife and I got taken out to dinner by our daughters to Boston Pizza. A great time was had by all and the food was as good as usual. We got seated in a booth this time instead of table as they had a couple of large groups that had taken all the tables. Surprisingly, the booth was a very spacious one - contrary to every other restaurant we have been to. So although we were leery about being put in the booth it turned out very well.

I must be just clued out. It turns out my older daughter has friends coming over to stay the weekend at the house and I somehow managed to not find out about it until today - and they're coming tomorrow. I obviously live in my own little world and anything that does not directly involve me just gets ignored. Maybe I should get them to write it in the blogs B-)

Good night!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 11:16 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: