Saturday, November 19, 2005
I gotta learn to keep my phone off
This is another one of those days where I wonder why I turned my work cell phone on. I did not have to as I am not on call. But because I did, I found out that our main backup server was having trouble with the disk drive that houses the catalog database - the information about all the backups. I waited a while to see if someone would call, but no one ever did. So I decided to go in and work on the problem.

I guess I could have called the "on call" person; but 1) I don't think she has the expertise to deal with a disk problem on Solaris, and 2) The laptop was required to access the disk array and I was the one with the laptop. (Note to self, find out what it is that Wendy did before becoming part of our group - maybe she does have Solaris experience).

Anyway, I have so far spend 4.5 hours working on that problem, and it's not over. We still have to replace the drive. The replacement drive was shipped to my house (there is no one to receive [sign for] packages at the office after hours and on weekends) and I am now waiting for the Sun Engineer to call me so we can make our way to the site to replace the drive. The engineer is busy on another call until hopefully 12:30am, although it could take as long as until 2am. We are all hoping for the earlier time.

On the home front, we have been pondering moving our phone to the new Shaw Digital phone offering. That should save us about $10/month over our current phone bill (from Telus) and on top of that we get unlimited calling to anywhere in Canada and the US - anytime. I went to the Telus store to see if they had something similar to offer; after all I have been a Telus customer for something like 30 years. But no, they have nothing - the current plan we are on is the best one for calls to the US. I guess it's bye bye Telus.

Well I better go spend a little time with my wife before I had to head out the door to replace the disk drive.

Good night!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 11:40 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: