Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Tight schedule
As I mentioned yesterday, for next week I am the only backup team member left as the other two members are on vacation. I had originally planned to go out of town for one day to install new backup servers. Then I decided that maybe that would not be the best idea to not have anybody around to deal with backup issues.

However, in the week after that, Veritas is coming back to town to merge (more like move in this case) the catalog of the current master server onto the newly installed Solaris master server (current master is a Windows server). Yes, that server that will have the catalog merged onto is one of the servers I have to go out of town to install. So the early part of that week is definitely not the best time to be installing a new server - particularly since that only leaves a day's leeway if things go wrong on the Monday.

Did I also mention that the very Monday I am talking about above is when my co-worker comes back? So even though we will have coverage that day - she will have been out of the loop for three weeks and will not have a clue about what is going on - not the best way to be. Maybe I can get someone else to go and install those 2 servers. I will have to think about that.

I also need to write some documentation for the Maximus DRP test in September. They will be testing their Disaster Recovery Plan at the end of September but they would like to have the documentation at the end of August so they can review it. Of course, it is a little hard to write decent documentation when the environment that will be used for the DRP test is not even installed yet! Yes, it is those very same servers I have been talking about throughout this entry. And we are waiting for new tape drives for the robot - so we can read the tapes for the DRP test. A lot of things have to happen pretty much all at the same time.....

On the home side, I helped fixed dinner by fixing instant mashed potatoes and making a very big mess - let's just say pieces of the stove are soaking overnight to see if they can be cleaned. I definitely outdid myself this time.

Good night!
 
posted by Christian Thibodeau at 11:33 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: